Sunday, June 17, 2007

The Birth Father - Happy Fathers Day!

Ok, it's Father's Day and the day really means nothing to me (my own father is no longer enough of a part of my life to warrant any celebration with him), and I now wonder what it will mean to our child. He (or she) will not have a father in the biological/traditional sense, but for all intents and purposes Liz will clearly be the 'father' in our home. I know she is the one carrying the baby, but she does not have the 'mother' instinct and I know some of you will say (and have) that it will come and she will get it when she gives birth, but I don't think so and I don't think I want her to (she even refers to herself as 'the birth father') That said, there really isn't a day set aside to recognize people like my darling wife. Mother's day will clearly be mine, but Father's day doesn't seem to fit either.

Anyway, today I made her a big breakfast; her favorite........sausage, biscuits, gravy, and scrambled eggs. She's sleeping in so I will finish it when I hear her stirring.

Next year we will have a 7-month old and I would like her to have her own "me as a parent" day.

Thoughts?

Oh, and Happy Father's Day to all of the fathers out there.

1 comment:

underdog said...

Yes, she should have a "me as a parent" day! Check out lesbiandad.net She is just that, and calls herself Baba. The last 2-3 posts speak to this matter entirely. Enjoy!

(Oh, and what time is breakfast?! That is MY favorite, too!)

RaJen