Monday, September 17, 2007

Shower details

We had an awesome day! We arrived at The Market and looked up to the balcony party room to see what we later learned was 48 people waiting for us. Wow!!

There were no obvious signs of gender; everything was pink, blue and yellow. Liz made her 'Thank You' speech, then we were handed a small gift. We opened it to reveal a silver frame with Isabella Grace Ingersoll ingraved and a picture of the ultrasound that had 'It's a girl!' printed on it. Even though we had a really good guess, Liz cried A LOT!!! Big baby! Just kidding, honey!

We got tons of stuff. Liz parents got us a glider (not the one we've been drooling over, but a good second choice.) and lots of clothes and gift certificates (which we LOVE).

Next, we move to making the purchases we were waiting to make (bed, mattress, dresser, car seat) and start on the room. It would be nice to throw in a Florida vacation to see the mouse (sorry for the tag, but I need the money; there's a baby girl coming!) before the baby comes, but alas, that will not happen!

If I could mention a rant or pet peeve without sounding too ungrateful..........what the heck are baby registries for? I swear only about 3 people even looked at ours! I always take great care to purchase a gift from the registry or get a gift card from that store. Didn't happen with us. Is that how it usually goes? Especially the glider; we've been talking to EVERYONE about that specific glider and my MIL says that it was $200 more than they could spend. Ok, so give us a gift card. Now we have a glider that we can't return and it's an OK glider, but we have been fantazising about rocking our baby in THAT particular glider. OK, enough about that; I must get used to my MIL's way of thinking and I know her intentions are good, but she gets on my last nerve at times. (BTW: she mentioned that she put in to take the whole week off after the baby is born...YAY! Oy!)

So, we are having a sweet little baby girl! I'll post some pictures tonight.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats on your baby girl!!!!!

Audra said...

I am SO happy for you guys. Isabella Grace is SUCH a beautiful name.

Could you try selling the gilder on craigslist, etc (or try exchanging it in a store?) and get the one you dreamed of?

Wendy and Karen said...

Congratulations on a sweet baby girl! Hurray!

I'm so glad the shower went well. I know what you mean about baby registries. I always buy something off the registry or buy a gift card. But I think we are in the minority. At our shower, we got lots of baby clothes even though we hadn't registered for a single outfit. People just love buying baby clothes I guess.

Can't wait to see the pictures!

battynurse said...

Congrats on your girl. I don't know what it is about registeries. I did have a friend though who is older (mid to late 60's) and she was going to a baby shower where there was a registery and mentioned that she didn't like it because it took away the spontenaiety (ok I can't spell) and what if she wanted to get something different. I don't know if a lot of people feel that way or not.

hotomiky said...

congratulation!!!

Its fun to raise a girl ;o)

Holly said...

I am a big fan of gift cards. First, get something on the registry. If there is nothing you want to get on it, get a gift card.
I found that even though we told people not to buy clothes, we got a ton of clothes. Right now, we are bumming because we have so many outfits with tags still on them that he was never able to wear. And people never gave us receipts. If it's 1/2 season later, the stores only give you $2 for most items without a receipt.
I feel badly (a) because we could use the money to buy stuff that fits him and (b) the kind gifts that were given to us by thoughtful people were wasted.

Baby shower present giving should follow some rules:
1. use the registry
2. give gift cards to useful places
3. always give gift receipts

It's not that I'm ungrateful, we just feel wasteful that we are going to have to give a lot of stuff away.