Friday, November 02, 2007

The scoop.......

OK, here's the scoop:

Friday morning about 1:45 I was awakened from my sleep to LIz in a lot of lower back pain. We were pretty sure it wasn't labor since she was not contracting and the pain was constant. I rubbed in for about 2 hours until we decided we needed to go on in. So, about 4 or so, we called Cylie's mom to come and finish the night here and we headed in.

When we got there, the nurses evaluated her and decided it was kidney stone. She had an ultrasound and a shot of Stadol that took the edge off enough to allow her a couple of hours sleep. Ultrasound showed no stones, so they sent her off with a script for Percocet. We arrived home and settled in for a nap around 2ish. She woke me again about an hour later in severe pain and throwing up. Back to the hospital we went.......

The nurses were insistent that it was kidney stones and she would just have to pass them; they said that sometimes they just don't know on the ultrasound. She did eventually pass some 'gravel'. The pain got worse....they gave her more percocet...more stadol.....morphine.....nothing touched it. I finally insisted that the Dr. come in and talk with us. I think this offended one of the nurses who told me that they were giving him the correct info. I just asked that she please call him. He showed up about 15 minutes later and advised us that he now thinks she has Hydronephrosis (scroll down a little on the link). He stated that the only things that would help is either a stint, which may or may not work, or birth. Well, as soon as LIz heard that there would have been no convincing her not to induce.

So, they went ahead and hooked her up to an epidural around 10 or so Friday night and started her on a cervix ripening drug (I forget the name) by mouth. I left her there and came home; we both got a pretty decent nights sleep.

We sat there and watched the monotors all day Saturday and never saw any contractions showing. Around midnight they inserted another drug onto her cervix and said that it would need to be there for 12 hours then they would start her on Pitocin to start contractions. We settled down to get some more sleep. We didn't sleep as well that night; she just wasn't comfortable and her upper back was starting to hurt from lying in bed for so long. Around 9ish she cried out and I ran over; she said 'my water just broke'. I did not beleive her since that was really not possible. The nurse came in and confirmed that it did indeed break and that she was dialated to 3. They decided that the external monitor was not working for her and put in an internal one. When they did that about 15 minutes later, she was dialated to 6 and at 11:47 Bella made her debut. She was fast and furious once she decided to come. They wisked her off to the NICU to help her breath and I stayed with Liz while they stitched up her third degree tear, then went to be with Bella.

They left the epidural in for another day to make sure the kidney pain didn't come back. After they took it out on Monday, she developed a very painful spinal headache and ended up having what's called a 'blood patch' where they pull 30 cc's of blood from her IV and inject it into her spine via another epidural to allow blood clots to form on the opening and seal in the spinal fluid. It worked instantly!

She's still a little sore from her stiches and her back and is having a hard time dealing with her 'Pamela Anderson' boobs, but overall we are doing great!

We just need to get our baby gurl home with us!!!

5 comments:

K J and the kids said...

I can't wait until that little girl is home with her mommies.
You guys did GREAT ! Congratulations again !

Audra said...

i cant wait until she's home with you either!

Stacey said...

Wow! That's some story! Bella is gorgeous! Congratulations! I look forward to more pictures. :)

battynurse said...

Wow, what a story. Glad that for the most part all is well and hope that Bella is able to come home soon.

Unknown said...

That is quite the story! I can't wait until Bella is home with you guys!