We tried a new church this morning. We have been discussing it for a while now that we want Bella to grow up with church as a part of her life like we did. Our childhood church experiences weren't great (I grew up Pentecostal and she grew up Catholic), but we'd like her to be exposed to the church experience.
We haven't really agreed on a church or what we want from church, but we are trying to compromise. She wants a more modern church with upbeat worship service and down-to-earth sermons; I want a place to go that is not necessarily gay-focused, but certainly gay-friendly. We tried a UCC church this morning and while is was a bit too formal for either of us (it's very structured and somewhat Catholic-like with all the robes and religious jewelry), we really enjoyed the experience. We counted at least 15 gay or lesbian couples, a lot with children and the sermon was good and not gay-focused, if that makes sense.
We will more than likely go back next week and see how we feel then. It really felt good to go back to church! :)
1 comment:
I love the Unitarian Universalist churches! I HIGHLY recommend them. We had our daughter's "dedication ceremony" there. (Sort of like a Christening or Baptism.) I was raised Catholic and my mom was happy we had the ceremony.
I could not imagine going anywhere else. It's totally non-denominational. You can literally be ANYthing and get something out of their sermons.
Most of the congregations are what they call "welcoming" congregations, which welcome gays and lesbians. (I think among other things, like maybe atheists, etc.)
The sermons reminded me of a cross between a theology class, a philosophy class, and an anthropology class. I LOVED them!
I keep saying I am going to go to the one around here, but I have not yet. My daughter is at an age that she would like it, so I plan to soon.
Good luck!
Post a Comment