Thursday, February 26, 2009

Grandparents ... or lack of

Bella doesn't have grandparents! There, I said it.

Yes, one of her mothers DOES have living parents, so technically she does, but she doesn't know that. She's almost 16 months old and has seem them - maybe - 6 times outside of holidays and birthdays. She runs to me screaming when my FIL comes in the room.

Cylie lives with them, so she sees them all the time. I don't know if this has any impact on Bella not being a priority to them or not, but you have to wonder how it would be if Cylie lived elsewhere. If she lived with us would she be ignored as well? Or, would they be more involved with both of them?

Oh, don't get me wrong..........they love to say they have grandchildren and they love to show off their pictures and if anyone comes to town from their past or anything, we have to run out so they can show her off. But, they NEVER spend quality time with Bella. I hope they do with Cylie, but I can't say for sure.

My MIL says that it's our responsibility to bring Bella to her house to see her. Perhaps she's right, but even when we do go there, she wants to play cards with the adults and ignores the kids. Plus, their house is not safe so we have to be constantly aware of exactly where Bella is and what she's doing.

I loved going to my grandparents as a child. I was lucky enough to have 2 complete sets growing up and loved them for different reasons. One set lived in the city, the other on a farm. We had fun experiences at either one.

There really are no grandparents for Bella on my side either. My father is not a part of my life and my mother passed away in '06. I had hopes of my step-father, but after the drama with my sister, he has been keeping to himself. I hate that, especially since he is engaged to a seemingly wonderful woman and potential good grandma for Bella.

Anyway, I feel bad for Bella; I feel like she's missing out on something in life.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

:( I am sorry to hear about this.

battynurse said...

Some adults just don't know how to interact with children, especially the smaller ones. Hopefully as Bella gets older Liz's family will get better at spending quality time with her. As far as your step dad would it help if you called him, explained that you missed him and would still like to include him, invite him over etc?