Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Big Decision Time!!!

OK, I've been 'toying' with this for some time now, and it has now officially surfaced. I need to quit my job! Wow!!

Some background........I've been with this company for almost 10 years and it's really a great company to work for with a great philosophy and culture. The position I was in for 8 years was moved to another state, so I am now in a very humdrum low level position. Don't get me wrong now.....the job is low stress and the pay abnd benefits are great, but I'm TIRED of this industry.

Liz & I have been playing around with starting our own Event Planning business for a while now, but we've been dragging our feet. We have some things done. We have our name registered and website purchased, but not set up. We've had some counseling with small business support, but we still find ourselves a little overwhelmed.

But..........on Sunday night, I found myself in tears at the thought of coming to work. Liz says to me, 'Baby, I want you to be happy; just quit'. I was shocked, we have a new house and a new truck and hopefully a new baby soon and I make really good money. Things would be a little tight. She suggested that I take a few jobs in the event industry to make some connections.....florist, bakery, rental, etc, which is really a pretty good idea. In the meantime, we work on our website and get some flyers and business cards out there.

OMG!! I am sitting here at work almost giddy at the possibility of giving my 2 week notice.

Please let me know what you guys think about this!!!!

1 comment:

C said...

Wow, first of all...nice support from your DP(Liz). That is wonderful. Now, only you both can make this choice but if you guys can do it & are willing to take the risk/sacrifice I say..WOOOHOOO...2 week notice here you come. A couple years ago...I stopped working while I worked towards my M.A Counseling Licensure and began working something from home. It paid the bills, etc BUT in the end for me, I realized...I just like to spend too much money and therefore..I hauled my buns back to work. In your instance this would probably be a great time to get your feet "wet" & get your business slowly (& securely) off the ground. More Power to you!