Friday, March 23, 2007

Need to vent.....

We have a couple that we used to do a lot with. They have 4 children and are the most arrogant and obnoxious people we know. We do have love for them, but Liz loves them a whole lot more than I do. The wife, we'll call R :) is the expert on everything baby. And, admittedly, she does know a lot, she has given birth 4 times. But, she's never tried to get pregnant and doesn't know anything about that. The husband, W, owns a lawn care business. If we use his services, we always pay full price.

Last night, we were over there for one of the kids' birthdays (we absolutely adore the kids!), and R mentioned wanting Liz to take her and her girls picture in matching outfits. Liz made the comment that she was happy to be able to make a little extra money. To which R then said she'd just get her mom to do it. That's all fine and good, but we have done so many professional pictures of them for free and now that we have halved our salary and have a baby on the way, they should understand that photography is now one of our job functions and just like they do not give away lawn service, we can no longer give away photo sessions. She even wanted us to take pregnancy pictures of one of her friends for free and got upset when we told her we'd only discount it by 50% (that's the same discount we give our families and they understand).

Also, they are making fun of us because we have decided that Liz will not be mowing the yard at least through the first trimester. I will do it even though I HATE yard work. But, Liz asked last night if we could get some yard work instead of birthday or baby gifts. They went balistic. Apparently, R can mow yards and leap tall buildings when she is pregnant and there is no way that Liz should think of not mowing. We then, calmly explained that when you spend as much time and money as we have getting pregnant, you think about it differently. They don't get it.

So, Liz comes home very aggitated ( I had left earlier) with blood pressure raised. This makes me mad, because I am tiptoeing around trying to keep her calm and these people have the nerve to upset her to the point that she ended up kicking our footstool (way out of character!).

I want to cut all ties with these people and have for at least the last year, but Liz has real love for them, especially R, and I don't know if she can. I do know that I will not allow her to be provoked to aggitation like that again. They already think I'm a kid-hating bitch because I asked that they get a sitter for my 40th birthday party next weekend. They don't understand that with a houseful of people, 4 unruly kids make a big disruption. Of course, they think they are great, but the kids have been taught (because their parents are screamers) to only respond if you are yelling at them, which we do not do. I really hope they decide not to come.

Wow!! quite a vent there, huh?

P.S. I really do like kids, especially theirs. They are just raised very differently that we will raise ours.

2 comments:

battynurse said...

I know what you mean about people like that. I have a couple people in my life who have been a part of my life for a very long time but the last few years, being around them feels like work. I've gotten to the point where I avoid them and then that is uncomfortable. It's hard to cut the ties but hopefully at least some distance will help.

Unknown said...

I can totally understand why you guys would be upset. I do taxes on the side and I get the same kind of treatment from people... it kinda stinks..