Sunday, April 22, 2007

Diapers

Since today is Earth day and we've been watching Planet Earth for a while, the subject of diapers is really on my mind. I am a fan of cloth diapers, but I'm also a fan of convenience and cleanliness. I am totally torn on the diaper topic.

I love the idea of cloth diapers because I'm sure they are much more comfortable, not to mention cost effective and environmentally friendly. And, let's face it, our planet is going to hell in a hand basket and we MUST do something.

Liz is totally against them; it freaks her out to have 'poop-covered' diapers being washed in the same machine as our clothes. I've explained to her that it's really not like that; I've even suggested a diaper service. We are still debating and will probably come to a compromise and use both.

A thought did come to me today that had yet occured to me...............wipes! I wipe with a baby wipe with every diaper change (doesn't everyone, really), and I'm sure these wipes are just as damaging as the diapers, but the idea of using a washcloth with every change is just a bit overwhelming and I don't think even I could do that. Geez!!!!!!!! This is tough.

I am very curious to know your thoughts and concerns on this topic. Maybe you have some great ideas for us. We have several months to go to hash this one out. :)

7 comments:

Dee said...

I've struggled with the Diaper decision as well. I can't get Shelly to go cloth. She's the one that is going to be home during the day and says there is no way she can deal with it. But I've NEVER thought about the wipes. GOOD POINT!!! What's the solution? Maybe we can go with wash cloths for wipes if we're going with disposable diapers and feel a little better about what we're contributing, or not contributing, to the state of our planet. I'm going to have to have a conversation with Shelly on this one.

K J and the kids said...

I am just grateful for everyone else who does their part. I feel horribly guilty and lazy. I have taken the convenient and easy road. I use disposable diapers and wet wipes. (I do not use them on every change, only poopy..some pee diapers)
I think you do what's right for your family.
Good luck.

Angele said...

We use cloth and love them. We were opposed to them before but now we can't imagine our lives without them. Especially that they will go less as they get older. We have front loader which helped us make our decision but you are right it's a personal choice and we did it for cost, planet, comfort for Riley (no rash), toilet training faster cause they feel the wetness (and it's true, she hates wet or soiled diapers)and just the coolness look of them. You adapt to everything with cloth. Even being out all day.

Having said that we do put a disposable on her when we travel to see my parents 4 hours away. That is more comfortable for her cause we dont have to change her as often and she dosen't have to sit in a wet diaper.

We also use wipes. Unlike disposable diaper the wipes will decompose and fast because of how they dry up so fast. Birds also use them to make nests. The chemicals in them is anpther factor but we like to the convenience of them. There is nothing worst then chaning being in the middle of changing a poopy diaper when the baby stripped on the table and you forgot the wet cloth to wipe them down with. NO WHAT!!!! Don't feel bad for your decision to use them. Do what works for you. Everyone else is right???

Stacey said...

Cloth really is very easy. We were torn on the subject too but once we went downtown to a cloth diaper store and saw how to use them, we were immediately sold on the idea. They are really, really simple.

When the baby is little, the poop is watery and can be washed in the machine. The poop washes out so there is no need to worry about it being with your clothes during their cycle. You could always use paper liners if you're concerned. They are biodegradable and are simply flushed down the toilet. By law, you are supposed to remove and flush poop anyway which I never knew.

The other benefit of cloth is no/fewer rashes, no chemicals against the baby's skin, cloth breathes and cloth babies know when they're wet so they tend to toilet train much sooner. I mean, disposible diaper companies aim to keep your baby dry so he/she doesn't make the connection with peeing and feeling wet. They want your baby to stay in diapers longer anyway because it means more money for them.

If you do go with disposibles, I recommend looking at some more natural brands. For instance, 7th Generation makes diapers that are chlorine-free.

The way the cloth diapers work are you have a diaper pail with a filter on it. You line it with a plastic "wet bag" which you fill with the dirty diapers (no need for rinsing). Then you dump the bag and the diapers into the washing machine and wash. You'll want a more natural detergent but don't use 7th Generation as it creates a film on diapers that makes them stinky. Try Charlie's Soap or some other brand. babycakes posted a link to the best detergents for cloth diapers.

Cloth diapering can be *really* inexpensive if you go with Chinese prefolds. We've found that we actually like those the best anyway. Our next favourite is Sandy's by Mother-ease. You can buy some diapers used online as well in ebay. For liners, we LOVE the Bummis Whisper Wraps. They are awesome!

As for wipes, a lot of people keep wash cloths by the change table along with a spray bottle of water. We do use wipes because we had bought a ton beforehand, when we thought we were going to use dipsosible diapers. You can buy more natural versions of wipes as well.

Good luck with your decision but perhaps go and see some cloth diapers if there is a store in your area. It might just help both of you understand them better. It really helped us make our decision.

SJayneI said...

Thank you all for your comments. I really think that at the very least, we will do both. Perhaps, when Liz is alone with the baby or we are out for longer periods, we will rely on the disposable. I REALLY want to use cloth though and I'm sure we will come to a compromise before November. You guys are great!!!

S&C said...

I know its wrong but i am with Liz! just something about it..

TK said...

I was going to suggest the rice paper liners too! You can lift out the whole mess & flush! I am looking forward to that. :) Tara