Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Pediatricians

I feel like we need to start narrowing this down. There are only a few Dr's in our small town, but that list is growing rapidly with the addition of 2 hospitals. I've asked a few of the moms on our street, but they drive in to Tulsa (about 20 minutes away) or Broken Arrow (about 45 minutes away). I would like to have one here.

So, I called the Children's clinic here in town to see if we could come in and look around and maybe meet one or more of the Doctors. The lady on the phone said that they don't do that. You just have to go ahead and make and pay for an appointment. Maybe I'm naive, but I assumed they would at least allow you a few minutes of their time so that choosing your child's Dr. is not just a guessing game. Am I wrong?

I finally got her to take my name and number to at least see if one of the Dr's will call me back.



What steps did you guys take to locate your current pediatrician?

UPDATE:
I called the other clinic in town and they are happy to meet with me; apparently they do it on a regular basis, so I have an appt on the 25th (no charge!).

3 comments:

battynurse said...

I think I would probably go with the one who let you come in and meet with them. I'm sure you're not the first person to have asked for this.

Dee said...

Since Riley was in the NICU we asked for referrals from the doctors there. We also asked our OB. We were then going to narrow it down by meeting them but ended up really liking the first one we went to.

My friends, who are due 10/13, just met with several different peds and have found the one they like. I like the thought of getting it done before the baby comes. We waited because we didn't know what was going to happen.

Good luck!

Holly said...

We found ours by word of mouth. We went to the "nicer" of the two large offices in our area for an orientation. We liked the doctors, and Lois thought the young female pediatrician was hot, so we picked her.
She's great, but Lois' doctor picking techniques do not work for everyone. (BTW - we have a hot OB/GYN and a hot dentist too)