Monday, October 08, 2007

Packing........

Well, with last night's trip to the ER, it occurred to me that at this point anything can happen. On the way there, I envisioned them saying that there was something wrong with Liz that would mean the baby would been to be born now. It scared me! I know she would probably be OK, but she's not quite ready to make her arrival just yet.

That being said, it hit me that it's right around the corner! So, I pulled out the ol' Samsonite luggage and started packing. Bella is just about ready to go and we are well on our way. If any of your think of a MUST have item that you wish you had packed, please let me know! My plan is to not leave the hospital at all once she's here until it's time for all of us to go home.

I am assuming that I don't need to pack diapers and a lot of baby clothes, correct? I, also, assumed that they would provide formula and bottles. I've never done this part before. :)

5 comments:

The Mother Hen said...

I packed my own diapers because the hospitals often use a cheap brand. You should take the formula and bottles that you want to use. Many hospitals only have one or 2 choices so they may not have the formula you are choosing. It is a good idea to choose one and stick with it unless medically necessary to change. As well you should make sure that Liz has enough supplies for the bleeding after. I hated what the hospital provided.

Unknown said...

Never hurts to be prepared!

I have no idea the answers to your questions...because I haven't done it before either...but, I am curious to see the answers!

Stacey said...

We only stayed 4 hours but we brought our own bottles, formula, diapers, etc. You don't want to use a bottle that the hospital uses if it's different from your own. Best to start with your type, if you do need a bottle. Also, like others said, they might have a different formula than the one you want to use. We had Enfamil A+ but switched to Good Start due to constipation issues with Riley. You could bring a breast pump if she is going to breastfeed but can't latch the baby. Although colostrum (spelling?) is hard to pump, you can get some of it to give to the baby. If she has flat nipples, I recommend nipple shields. Wish I had them initially to help with latching. And the other thing you might want is food/drink that you like. Hospital choices are not the best. :P

You don't need a lot of baby clothes but I would pack sleepers/nightgowns (best type are the ones open at the bottom with built-in mitts), onesies, socks, mitts for the hands (or use socks) and hats. Your baby will need more layers than you to start since a baby can't regulate her body temperature well. You're supposed to dress your baby in one extra layer than you're comfortable in (i.e. add a onesie under her clothes). You might want some receiving blankets to wrap her in too.

So excited for you!!!

Holly said...

We were in for 2.5 days and we didn't need much in the way of clothes. They kept the baby in the hospital onesies since they wrap around to avoid putting pressure on the cord. Plus, the baby was always swaddled. We only needed a take home outfit. We used the hospital receiving blankets (we brought a few of our own for pictures) and the hats provided by the hospital, but we did bring our out hat and mittens as back up. Also,we brought a few pacifiers just in case he didn't like the one the hospital gave him.

The hospital bag is more for the mommies. I didn't leave the hospital at all after he was born. Clean underwear, clothes, shampoo and conditioner, toothpaste, snacks, cell phone charger. (the shampoo and conditioner was something I wished I had packed since hospitals make your skin feel dirty and they didn't provide anything in the shower in our room.)

We used the hospital diapers, wipes, vaseline, etc. (hey, you're insurance is paying for it anyway! Might as well use theirs!) Most hospitals have breast pumps and they give you plenty of free accessories! We made friends with all of the nurses and ended up with a 2-3 week supply of ready-made formula and 3 diaper bags stocked full of pacifiers, bottles, wipes, samples of diapers, shampoo, etc.

I also brought a phone card in case the cell phone didn't have service.

We put the bag in the car at about 35 weeks and made sure it was with us everywhere!

Anonymous said...

you should try and breastfeed if you can. the colostrum is really important for baby's immunity. in fact, i would encourage you to breastfeed instead of formula. formula can introduce so many issues...acid reflux, colic, allergies... breast is best!! :)
the hospital will supply diapers, vaseline..etc.. but no wipes. they will also provide sanitary pads and really weird net panties.