Thursday, February 07, 2008

Don't know how I feel........

..............about this, but here goes: We let Bella sleep all night in her swing last night and she slept for 2 stretches of 5 hours each!

I wanted to get her used to her room so I moved the swing in there around 7 ish and she fell right to sleep and slept until around midnight. Liz fed her and put her back in the swing where she slept until 5. She has a nice swing; it's the Fisher-Price papasan swing so I'm not too worried about her comfort, but I'm not sure this is the best thing to do.

What do you guys think?

7 comments:

battynurse said...

I had a baby I cared for in the NICU that spent days in her swing because it was the only place where she didn't scream. While she can't stay there forever (she will outgrow) for now if that's what it takes I don't see a problem with it.

Anonymous said...

My daughter would only sleep in her carseat (the baby ones) until she was about 6-7 months old. As long as she gets her sleep that was the most important thing to me. When she got a little big for the car seat then I had to adjust her to her crib and that took about a week or so and today she turns 1 and is great and sleeps great (knock on wood). :)
-Kari

The Mother Hen said...

I let Kyle sleep in his swing the first 3 months off and on, it was the only way I got any rest. As long as she is unable to twist and turn and there isn't any danger of her falling out, I say do what you need to do.

Merr said...

Well it's not neccessarily a bad thing, but if it becomes habit, it will be hard to break one day. If that's the only way she'll sleep for now, then by all means. It just won't be fun to try and break her of it.

Kathryn said...

I agree with the pps, some kiddos really like the motion, or the confined space, or... who knows what. What you really want to think about is what your plan is going to be for the future. She will eventually grow out of the swing and need something else. You want to be sure that you plan for that time and think about how to get there, not just let it smack you in the face when the time comes, you know?
Oh, and also, if she's spending that much time confined while sleeping (again, not such a bad thing) you HAVE to make sure that she's getting time on the floor to stretch and move during the day, including tummy time. Her little body has to have free time to move and stretch. If you've got that, no worries, swing it up!!
Good luck!

Jen said...

I've read several different articles that say not to leave babies in swings for too long...BUT funny thing is, I could never find a reason why. My thoughts are that people should be able to back up a statement like that. I agree with Merr that it could be hard to break her of the habit later. Another concern would be the movement if left unattended. We have the same swing. Maddie doesn't move around in her swing, but on two occasions now in her Pack N'Play, I've put her down to sleep in one direction and checked on her later to find that she had moved completely perpendicular to her original position. Knowing that she's getting more mobile, we're realizing that we need to watch her a little more carefully. That said, we've left her in her swing for fairly long stretches so that we could get some chores done around the house during the day.

Unknown said...

Sounds like it is okay for you to let her sleep in the swing... at least for now!