I've been thinking, a dangerous activity at times, but....... If it is true that what you do is more impressive on a childs mind that what you say - and, I believe that it is - then I/we need to make some changes.
The first being what we eat. Bella is eating people food for the most part and we are starting to integrate more family-style meals where everyone is at the table eating at the same time. But, I am not OK with her eating what we eat and I've been making her separate, healthy meals. This needs to change; I told Liz this morning that we need to start eating what Bella can eat. I don't want to have to explain to her that while she has to eat the yummy carrots, peas, and whole wheat pasta, mommy gets to have mashed potatoes covered in gravy and ranch dressing soaked salad. There is no good 'why' to explain to her. So, we will start eating more healthy meals together as a family. Please feel free to send me any healthy, easy (remember I have babies and toddlers running after me all day long) inexpensive meal ideas!!!
Another is our level of activity. We tend to allow ourselves to get sucked in by the TV on the weekends. While, our minds are outside riding bikes and flying kites, our bodies stay on the sofa way too much. I know it's HOT here, but we need to get around and go more often for her sake and for Cylies. I enjoy the activity once I'm in it, but have a little trouble getting started. Granted, I'm not really into the ellipticals or any of that, but dancing around with the kids and doing some baby exercise is a lot of fun. Also, I need to learn to ride a bike. I was injured pretty badly on two separate occasions as a child and my parents didn't encourage me to get back on, so I don't know how to ride. I'm still a little apprehensive, but now it's more about looking silly while learning than about getting hurt. I love the idea of evening family bike rides though and I have a friend who has a bike and is willing to let me come to her house and neighborhood to learn so at least my own neighbors won't be witness to the madness that is a 41-year old learning to ride a bicycle. :)
I also want more family time. We are working on alone time and 'us' time for Liz and I and we both spend a lot of time with Bella, but I want one night a week that we have family time, either the 3 of us or with our extended families. I want Bella to have good relationships with her aunts and cousins.
So, there it is. Written in black and white. I now have accountability. Feel free to ask me how these things are going. I need the encouragement. I'd also welcome idea on how you guys integrate and resolve these issues in your own lives.
3 comments:
I'm doing exactly the same thing. While I've been eating whole wheat bread and pasta and I love fruit and veggies I think I don't make enough effort to have a variety... If I'm in the mood for corn on the cob I've been known to eat nothing else for dinner.
Right now, my goal is to get more fish in my diet. I don't really care for it but I've been making an effort to make it once a week... and of course, I need more vegetable variety.
One thing I've been thinking about making lately is hamburger soup. I don't know if you've ever had it but regardless of how gross it sounds (to me anyway) I absolutely love it.
Those are great ideas. We struggle with the same goals and plans and we don't even have such a cute motivator as you adorable little one. I'll try to think up some nice, easy, kid-friendly (and adult-friendly) recipes for you, but maybe not at 1am!
In the meantime, Anabel Carmel (Karmel?) has some great books with nice pictures and food ideas. The pictures always help me out.
Sounds like good ideas! Wanting our kid to eat healthy makes us eat healthy as well and that is good for all of us.
Post a Comment