Ok, so some of you know that I have a little brother who is mentally retarded (that used to be the correct terminology until the word was so misused; forive me if I don't know the current politically correct one). Anyway, he's 30 years old and while he's well within the legal age to vote, there is no way he can make an informed, intelligent decision on his own.
I struggled with the idea of ilntroducing him to voting, but wasn't sure I could explain the issues with enough neutrality to be fair to him. For that reason, I never addressed the issue with him.
I am now regretting that. Here's a conversation I had with him last night.........
Nathan: I voted today.
Me: You did? Who did you vote for?
Nathan: McCain
Me: Do you know why?
Nathan: Because 'Bama is a terrorist.
Me: He is? How do you know that?
Nathan: Dad, and Sunday School
My conclusion to this whole thing is that my father has manipulate and used Nathan to add a vote to his own agenda, which wasn't even necessary in this state. McCain will get Oklahoma with no problem at all.
This saddens me. First, Nathan was lied to and while I can't see any reasons to vote for McCain, I'm sure there are some legitimate ones. But, they got Nathan to vote for him based on a BIG lie.
I want to call my father on it so bad, but hesitate because of other family members. Some who are McCain supporters as well, but I don't think they'd support Nathan's manipulation.
My father would not think there was anything wrong with this, unless I had taken him to vote for Obama. Then, he would have issues with it. My father and I don't speak and this just goes that much farther towards cementing that.
This, along, with another issue that hit me this morning has me in a big funk and I just want to crawl in a hole today.
Am I overreacting?!?!?
3 comments:
You are not overreacting AT ALL. My mom was an activities director at a local nursing home. She was the one that helped them all with their absentee ballots. She would show them the debates, and then have discussions with them. Anyway, some of them could not vote because of advanced Alzheimer. The director of nursing would try to let them vote anyway as she was VERY conservative and wanted those votes. I don't know if your brother voted absentee, or with help. If you vote with help, the person that helps you vote I believe has to sign a release saying they had no influence on that person's vote. I think what your dad did is borderline voter fraud!
That's sad that people do manipulate those kind of people.
He should be neutral and be fair and let him decide what he wants to vote for.
Sorry that had to happen.
No you are not over reacting. I'm kind of with the first commenter. Isn't this borderline illegal??
Post a Comment