Wednesday, November 05, 2008

My vote

Because of my sudden illness yesterday, and the actions of my father manipulating my brother, and the knowledge that my state will NEVER elect a Democratic president..........I considered skipping the trip to the polling place to cast my vote. I am ashamed that this even crossed my mind.

Then I mentally fast-forwarded to the day that Bella is learning of this election in history class and she comes home to discuss it with me; I couldn't do it. I dragged myself off of the couch, pulled on my shoes and jacket (it wasn't even cold outside, but I was freezing) and Liz drove me - no make up, ratty hair, workout pants, bright blue clogs and 102 temperature - to the local Baptist church and I went in and cast my vote. Tears in my eyes, I came back home, took some Tylenol PM and crashed on the sofa.

I woke up to go to bed, when Liz said, 'watch'. She rewound the TV to let me hear the official annoucement that Barack Obama is our next president. I went to my bed, happy and with tears of joy.

This morning, I woke up and watched McCain and Obama's speeches. I was impressed with McCain; he was gracious and supportive. I really don't think he is a bad guy, but I do think he made a bad choice when he picked 'that woman'. I still think he would have been the wrong choice for president, but she definitely brought him down several notches. She is a dangerous person, and while I would love to see a woman in the White House, I think we can wait a little while if she is our only choice.

Obama's speech, like most of his speeches, brought me to tears. I loved his ackowledgment of gay citizens. I know that he has made statements supporting 'one woman/one man marriage', but he kinda had to, regardless of how he feels, in order to be elected. He does support civil unions and I think he's a giant step in the right direction.

Anyway, I was deeply moved by what he said and by how he said it. When the families joined them on stage, I felt what they were feeling, especially at the end when everyone was gone and he made one last wave at everyone while Michelle waited for him at the back of the stage. She looked so proud and gave him a little 'high-five' before then left together.

I am so incredibly hopeful for my country and for Bella's future.

2 comments:

Tanya said...

I think a woman VP would be a good thing... However, in this case I think she was chosen BECAUSE she was a woman rather than because she was the best person for the job. That was a huge mistake.

battynurse said...

Glad you got to go even if you didn't feel good. I kind of agree that Palin was chosen because she was a woman. It felt like the republicans were trying to say "hey, all you Hillary supporters, here's your vagina to vote for" To bad for them I vote with my brain and not my vagina.