Friday, February 13, 2009

Today...........

........was awesome!!!

There were about 20 couples who gathered at our local Equality Center for a press conference. Three of the local television stations and the Tulsa newspaper showed up and interviewed some of the couples (we were interviewed by the newspaper).

We then all loaded up in a shuttle (we ended up taking our own car so we could have Bella in her car seat) and headed to the court house. It was a powerful and amazing feeling walking in with everyone lined up smiling very supportive at us. Apparently most of the people who work at the court house are very gay friendly; in fact, our local Equality Center president is an appeals clerk at the court house.

I found myself becoming emotional as we walked in as a group and stood in a united line waiting our turn to be denied a marriage license. I was also very teary as the wonderfully nice clerk had to deny us something we know she wanted very much to grant us.

I am very proud of what we did today and I look forward to the day that I can walk in there and get a big YES!

We then went back to the center for a wedding reception.

A great day!!

And, Bella was a trooper even though most of this took place right when she is usually napping.

I will post pictures later.

4 comments:

onemorebaby said...

Awsome!

battynurse said...

Good for you. It sounds like it went great.

S AND C said...

YAY glad it went well!

MommynMama said...

Steph-
I hope someday your state will wake up and smell the coffee. But, I am glad that you all had a fun time. I'm sure it was great standing in line with 20 other couples asking for the same thing. EQUALITY!
-C
PS If you have my phone number still please give me a call when you can!