I watched an episode of Oprah this week that I can't seem to shake...maybe it was last week, I don't know.
Anyway, it was about the amount of trash we all produce and where it ends up. Did you know there is a 'gathering' of trash in the middle of the ocean that is the size of Texas?
This has made me start thinking of recycling again, and making some changes around the house that will help our earth.
We already replaced most of the light bulbs, but that's as far as we got.
I know this.....
We use way too many ziplock bags. (they are a mom's best friend, aren't they?)
We use way too many paper towels. (another mom friend)
I recently started using canvas bags instead of plastic and I love them.
I'm curious.........
What changes have you made, if any? And, what suggestions do you have for me to get started recycling? I feel overwhelmed on how to begin.
3 comments:
We recycle everything that can be recycled. I'ev also recently ordered washable, reusable snack and sandwich bags from two places:
http://www.rainbowsenddesigns.com//index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=13
and
https://www.snacktaxi.com/
It will cut down on the plastic bags we use. We also use rags instead of paper towels as often as possible.
We recycle the plastic bags that we get when we forgot to take our canvas ones (we always take them shopping but we often forget when going places like the mall or Target).
I also have a trash compactor I got from Craigslist to compact the trash which doesn't make it "less" but it does make it take up less room.
OH! And we give away or sell things we don't need/want instead of just throwing them away.
That's all I can think of now.....
we recycle everything too. I have a large canvas bag that i put it all in and take it out to the recycling bin.
Of course, being in a big city, the city picks up our mixed recycling. So we don't have to sort, don't have to take it anywhere. It's nice. I reuse the plastic bags we get when we forget our canvas ones to pick up dog poop or for our kitchen trash.
The biggest saving the worlds resources change we've made is we don't use paper napkins or papertowels. We have cloth napkins that we either bought or made (we're kinda crafty). And for paper towels, we use real ones or rags made from old cotton shirts that have seen better days. My partner also crochets our kitchen scrubbies (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=22063675) , so those replace the sponges and are cleaner than sponges too.
We keep the clean rags for spills under the sink and have a canvas bag specifically for dirty kitchen laundry. If the "spill" came from a person or creature, it goes into a pail or diaper pail. We also have a few old old towels from the thrift store that we cut up and use for the wetter messes. (our cat was peeing outside the box several times a day, and I didn't need paper towels even for that.)
oh, and like casey, we also use reusable sandwhich bags or containers for food stuff.
Post a Comment